This is the third shawarma recipe on Cukzy after the Lebanese Chicken Shawarma Wrap and Spicy Chicken Shawarma. As I had mentioned earlier, I experiment different recipes of a dish and, if I love it, I put up here for you. Shawarma is the most sought after dish from the Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cuisine – mildly spiced meat grilled just enough to be soft and succulent. Pair this recipe with Tzatziki Sauce or Hummus.
1 cup uncooked rice
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp butter
2 cups chicken broth/ water
1 minced garlic clove
Salt and pepper to season
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the garlic and turmeric powder. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the rice and mix well to coat.
- Add the chicken broth or water to cook the rice. Season with salt and pepper.
For the Chicken:
1 pound boneless chicken breast cut into strips
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
For the Yogurt Sauce:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp Tahini
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
- Marinade the chicken for at least half an hour. Overnight marination works best.
- Combine the yogurt sauce ingredients. Tahini (sesame paste) adds a smooth texture and consistency and gives the dip a light nutty flavor. It’s an optional ingredient so even if you don’t have it, you’ll have a delicious yogurt sauce.
- Heat the grill pan (the usual pan works too) on medium and place the chicken pieces. Turn the pieces every 5 minutes. You may not need to add oil since the chicken marinade has enough. However, you can add a teaspoon if you need.
- Once the chicken is done, place then on a clean and dry chopping board. With a sharp knife you can roughly slice the chicken pieces into thin strips.
- Serve it with turmeric rice and yogurt sauce. I like drizzle a teaspoon of the yogurt sauce on the chicken, but you can serve it on the side as a dip.