Mutton Pepper Fry is quite famous and loved in Southern parts of India. Recipes and ingredients vary from region to region so do the spice levels. Some recipes use tomatoes, fennel, curry leaves and so on. You can use chicken as well. This mutton pepper fry recipe is the most common you’ll find. Add some spice to your dinner!
500 grams Mutton (boned/boneless)
2 big onions, sliced
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp oil
3 tsp black peppercorns
2 green chilies
1 inch ginger
3-4 garlic cloves
1 small bunch coriander leaves
A little water if necessary
1. Marinate mutton with 2 tbsp lemon juice for an hour.
2. Heat oil in and add the onions. Fry till they are golden brown. Make sure you’re watching the onions and stirring occasionally to prevent them from burning or browning unevenly.
3. Add all the spices. Sauteé for 20-30 seconds stirring continuously on medium or low flame to avoid burning the spices.
4. Add the mutton pieces and mix well to coat all the pieces with the spices. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add a cup of water if you’re using a pressure cooker. If not, you’ll need about 2 cups. Cook till the mutton pieces are well done.