Here is a twist to the usual vegetable pulao. Who would think that vermicelli can be an ingredient to a pulao recipe? But here it is. A vegetable pulao recipe with rice and vermicelli.
- 200 – 300 grams long grain basmati rice, washed.
- ½ cup vermicelli (thin) broken into small pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ inch ginger cut into long thin strips.
- 2 – 3 green chilies chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 ½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add the bay leaf and chopped onions. Fry the onions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and green chilies. Sauté for 2 minutes, continue stirring. Add the vermicelli and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Pour the water, add salt and garam masala powder, stir and mix well. Bring to boil on high flame.
- When the water starts bubbling, add the rice. Cover and cook over reduced flame, until water is absorbed and the pulao is cooked.
- Just before serving add the coriander and gently mix. Serve with raita.