1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1/4 cup water
Salt to taste
Boiled vegetables for filling
2 sprigs parsley
5 cups water or chicken stock
2 spring onions, chopped
1 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
1. Sift the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Whisk together egg, 1/4 cup water and salt. Pour this in the flour well.
2. Mix the batter together. Add additional water to make a dough. Make sure its not sticky. Let it rest for half an hour to one hour.
3. Now divide the dough into half. Lightly coat a clean surface with cornstarch (not flour) and roll out the dough. Roll it out as thin as you can. Cut out square shapes from the rolled out dough – each measuring about 3 – 4 inches.
4. Place the boiled vegetables filling in the center of the wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with little water to facilitate binding.
5. Fold the wrapper in half diagonally to form a triangle and press on the edges to fasten. Take the corners of the triangle and fold them horizontally across the triangle so they overlap each other. This will form a pouch type shape.
Your wontons are ready.
1. Boil the wontons for 2-3 mins. Drain and divide into different soup bowls.
2. Add chopped parsley to the bowls.
3. Bring stock to boil and add spring onions, ginger, salt and the remaining ingredients. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Pour hot over wontons and serve immediately.