Paneer pasanada is the vegetarian alternative to the pasanda dish of Awadh. It is one of the most sought after vegetarian dish with one of the richest vegetarian ingredients.
400 grams paneer
150 grams curd
50 grams poppy seeds
25 grams chironji
25 grams dry coconut
6 green cardamom
2 blades mace
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
Salt to taste
pinch of saffron
1 tbsp rose water
50 grams ghee
1. Slice paneer into 1/2 cm thick layers. Now, cut them into triangular medium pieces – about 3 cms each.
2. Deep fry cashew nuts and chironji in ghee until light brown. Remove and keep aside. In the same pan, roast the poppy seeds. Grind this along with coconut and a teaspoon of curd. Empty in a bowl.
3. Grind cardamoms, cloves, and mace.
4. Add both these masalas to beaten curd, and mix well. Now, add salt and white pepper powder.
5. Dissolve saffron in a tablespoon of rose water. Add to the curd.
6. Dip the paneer triangles in the curd.
7. Grease a non-stick vessel, and place the paneer with the curd mixture in the vesssel. Cover and put on dum for 20 minutes.