Mutton Pepper Fry is quite famous and loved in Southern parts of India, especially in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Recipes and ingredients vary from region to region so do the spice levels. Some use tomatoes, fennel, curry leaves and so on. This mutton pepper fry recipe is the most common you’ll find. Some spice to your dinner!Ingredients:
500 grams Mutton (boned/boneless)
2 big onions, sliced
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp oil
3 tsp black peppercorns
2 green chilies
1 inch ginger
3-4 garlic cloves
1 small bunch coriander leaves
A little water if necessary
- Marinate mutton with 2 tbsp lemon juice for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the onions. Fry till they are golden brown. I use the usual vessel covered with tight lid. Take more time but the taste deepens and the spices are at their best.
- Add the ground and powdered spices. Saute on medium or low flame to avoid burning the spices.
- Add the mutton pieces. Mix well to coat all the pieces with the spices. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add a cup of water if you’re using a pressure cooker. If not, you’ll need about 2 cups. Cook till the mutton pieces are well done.
Categories: Indian Recipes, Mutton Recipes