Gobi Manchurian is quite similar to that of baby corn manchurian. Gobi manchurian is a delicious starter and, by making a gravy-style sauce, can be a great main course. It’s important to deep fry the cauliflower florets on high heat so that they don’t get all soggy. Stir-fry the sauces on high heat and add the fried gobi florets at the end. Toss around to coat all the florets well. You can adjust the consistency of the sauce according to your liking. If you are looking for dry gobi manchurian, then don’t add too much cornflour-water mixture.
Cornflour thickens the consistency of the gobi manchurian sauce. This way the cauliflower florets absorb the sauce well and quickly without becoming soggy or too moist and losing the crispiness.
It’s better to add the florets just before serving. Also, a lot of gobi manchurian recipes don’t use cornflour. Instead, they just add in a little water.
Pair the gobi manchurian withEgg fried ricefor a perfect homemade Chinese spread,
For the batter:
15 cauliflower florets
3 tbsp maida
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp rice flour (optional)
1 tsp red chili powder (I like using Tobasco sauce)
Water to make a batter and salt to taste
For the sauce:
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 tbsp garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp red chili sauce/ garlic chili sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp cornflour, diluted with 3 tbsp water
1-2 tbsp spring onions, chopped
1. Prepare the batter. The batter should have thick consistency so that it coats the florets.
2. Deep fry the cauliflower florets on medium flame. This helps the florets to cook without burning the coating. Once the florets have turned brown, drain on kitchen towels.
3. In about a tablespoon of oil, add the garlic, green chillies and onions. Stir continuously to avoid the garlic from burning. Fry till the onions have softened and are transparent.
4. Add in the sauces one by one along with salt and black pepper. Allow to simmer on low flame so that the sauces have blended well.
5. Add in the diluted cornflour. Stir and add the fried gobi. Simmer for about 2 minutes.