Baida roti is one of Mumbai’s delicious street side snack. A famous order at Mumbai’s Bade Miyan, baida roti is maida roti filled with minced meat and egg. For an easy baida roti recipe, you can substitute the process of making the rotis with ready-made spring roll sheets. A lot of recipes also suggest that mince meat is fried initially. I’ve opted to cook the meat in water, since the roti eventually has to be fried. So here it is!
For the dough:
250 grams maida
1 teaspoon oil
For the filling:
250 grams mince meat (keema)
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon green chilli paste
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 eggs, beaten
1. Mix all the dough ingredients and knead into a soft dough. Make five to six equal portions from the dough.
2. In a vessel, cook minced meat in a cup of water. Add in chopped onions, green chilli paste, and salt. Stir and cook till water has almost dried.
3. Add in the garam masala powder and cumin powder and cook till the water has dried completely. Remove and keep aside.
4. Roll out each portion of dough into a thin, square-shaped chapati.
5. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or a tawa. Place the chapati on the pan.
6. Place some mince meat in the center of the chapati. Pour a spoonful of beaten egg over and around the mince meat.
7. Fold the sides of the chapati to cover the meat and egg, like in a square packet. Pour some beaten egg over the folded roti. Flip and pour some beaten egg again. Fry till done on both sides.
Your baida roti is done!!